Lip Blushing 101
Hey everyone! You might’ve heard that we’ve introduced a new service here at Ageless Living – Lip Blushing! Want to learn more? Read on!
What is lip blushing?
Lip blushing is a new technique of Semi-Permanent Makeup that is used to achieve a natural healthy lip colour with perfect definition. Lip blushing works by gently depositing dots of pigmentation into the lip area. This is considered a soft treatment with 1-3 passes of pigmentation max. The old technique for lip tattooing was performed in a very harsh manner with 5-6 passes of pigment and strong needle pressure, leaving a more permanent result.
What are the benefits of lip blushing?
You may ask, why would someone get or want lip blushing? There are many benefits to lip blushing; here are a few:
- Boost your natural lip colour – Over time, our natural lip colour can fade away by following the lip texture lip blushing can bring colour back to these areas.
- Improve or correct the shape of your lips – Say goodbye to uneven or fine lips!
- Add definition to lip borders – A natural look without makeup. A bonus? Reduce time spent applying lipstick or lip liner! Your injector may recommend lip blushing after your filler treatment to achieve a more defined border.
- Create the illusion of fullness – Looking for fuller or plumper-looking lips without filler injections? Look no further!
- Disguise scarring – Is previous trauma to the lip area leaving you with a noticeable scar? Let’s disguise it with lip blushing.
Lip Prep Before Treatment
Before your treatment day, you may have had a consultation or been guided over the phone/in person on how to prep for your appointment. By following the recommended pre-treatment, you are ensuring the best results out of your treatment day.
You’ll want to make sure your lips are in the best possible condition before treatment; here is how:
- Hydrate & Exfoliate: Hydrated, smooth lips have better pigment retention and healing time. Your treatment provider will have product recommendations for the best lip prep.
Be honest about your medical history and previous treatments:
- Do you have a history of cold sores? There are no issues with treatment, but we need to plan with a prescription for Valtrex.
- If you’ve recently had lip injections, like lip filler or other lip treatments, you’ll need to wait at least four weeks to receive your lip blushing treatment.
Don’t forget to read over the pre/post care. You would have received this at your consultation.
Here is what to expect on treatment day:
- Your treatment will take roughly 1 ½ hours.
- Before and after photos will be taken of your treatment to compare results once your lips are fully-healed!
- Preliminary Drawing – This is where we correct or enhance your lip shape, and you must agree to the lip shape before we continue.
- Numbing Cream – Don’t worry, this treatment has minimal discomfort. A topical anesthetic is applied throughout the treatment to ensure maximum comfort.
- Colour Selection – Let’s mix and match colours to give you the exact shade you’re looking for!
- Outlining – Now for the fun part, the tattooing has started! This is the first step to achieving the perfect outline of your desired lip shape.
- Shading – We are now ready to colour in the outline, making sure we stay in the lines.
- After a few passes making sure the colour has been deposited evenly throughout the lip area, the first session of lip blushing is complete.
- Post care is applied and sent home with you, along with directions on how to care for your new lips!
What is the healing time after lip brushing treatment? Healing process?
Healing will take roughly 7-10 days. Post-treatment, you will notice:
- Pigment Intensity: The colour will appear slightly darker immediately after the procedure; however, it will fade 30-50% by the time it’s healed.
- Discomfort & Swelling: Your lips may be swollen immediately after treatment; this will settle within 24 hours. For the next few days, your lips will feel dry and chapped. Your treatment provider will give you a post-care balm to apply daily, along with recommendations for other products to keep the dryness at bay.
- Bruising: Bruising is rare, but if it does occur, it is mild and will resolve within a few days.
How many sessions are needed? How long does it last?
You will notice a difference in the colour of your lips after your first session, although there are usually a few uneven patches. The touch-up is needed to perfect your lip shape and even out the colour. Lip blushing will last roughly two years. Lip blushing is a semi-permanent treatment designed to fade away gradually over time.
Lip Blushing Results Before & Two Weeks After First Session
Can you use lip blushing for all skin types? What are the colour options?
Lip blushing is suitable for all skin types/Fitzpatrick’s. On darker lips (Fitz 4-6), professionals recommend beginning the first session with orange tones of colour, which will cancel out blue undertones in the lip and make them softer. At the touch-up, you’ll be able to select the colour of your choice. Lips with a Fitzpatrick 1 -3, can choose any colour at the first session.
There are many colour options for lip blushing. The pigments are customizable and colours can be mixed to find your desired lip colour. PRO TIP: Bring your favourite lipstick, and your service provider will mix a color to match!
Now that you know the basics about lip blushing, are you ready to put down the lipstick and enhance your natural features? To learn more about lip blushing or schedule an appointment Click Here!